Re: Godtalkers

From: Jeff <richaje_at_SLZm60Fvl7AJCdJP5FBMwSM79lRL4elOz5QgtrAof4SvjSTX6G58jO10lkvgkWswqCi3>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 12:08:36 -0000

> Sartar tells me that Godtalkers are chosen by the Gods (or the ref). How does this work in game and what does this mean for the player. Do the other characters just know that s/he is a godtalker or does Orlanth make a dramatic appearance and say "You are my chosen one" (voiced by Brian Blessed). I can see that it might not be a blessing for all players as they may now have to act in certain ways - lead services, etc.

Yes. They are chosen by the gods - maybe while over on the otherside during a ceremony, or maybe just told by the god.

As a practical purpose, I let player who has an interest in being a god-talker (and is an initiate) become one. Additionally, anyone with a divine rune affinity of at least 10W is likely to be chosen by the gods (ie by the Narrator).

> If the character was not a Thane and then became a Godtalker, how is that handled?

They are now viewed as a thane by their clan. Their weregild goes up and their status increased (at least concerning things of importance to their god - everything for Orlanth and Ernalda, just a few things for minor gods).

> If I've missed where this detailed in Sartar/companion please point me in the right direction.

Pages 16 and 84.

Jeff