Re: the Hsunchens' limits

From: hcarteau_at_1tsKnwXKIgsBnEhPXX-zKIhlBxlBVr9WgOchjpZAL8ZidyZq7__JCSxyk3JAtm5GyE_
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 20:06:14 +0100

Selon donald_at_2zdY1WIo2B4J4vTLeQ5OS6j2k4nbUm_K9xwaXUr5RYBFHY7aj5LKnFwkYxdty2kwAKrqbo-x_hzktgNZebdO.yahoo.invalid:

How about discarding the RW terms of species and cultures and using a Gloranthan one of mythical groups?

Initiation reinforces the characteristics of the main group or places you in an acceptable other group. So a Rathori will normally follow the known path towards integrating their souls. However if they choose to initiate, and are accepted, into Orlanth/Ernalda they become part of that mythical group. They lose the ability to integrate souls and gain the ability to emulate their chosen god(dess).
/// Why should it be so ? In Wenelia, we still use our totems' magics while
worshipping great Heler and his Brothers. We still can feel our animal blood flowing in our veins, our animal heart thumping, our animal spirits roaring in our minds.
Our wenelian characters do mix a lot of magics : animism of hsunchen animal, some theism (such as Heler) and even malkioni sorcery spells. I can perfectly picture one awakening his/her full animal self and becoming a raccoon physically and mentally, while still able to use (perhaps only in human form) other magics. The cost in HP means they won't get high skill levels easily. It does prevent much of "overkill characters" problem.

My objection to this is the same as introducing capitalism or communism into Glorantha - it's anachronistic and may well be incompatable with the mythic basis of Glorantha. Nor am I particularly keen on making a good/evil split between the players and antagonists. But that's just a personal view.
/// I agree with you on that. The most interesting scenarios are IMHO the ones
where there are no clear good/bad guys. There's only guys, and PCs have to choose a side. If I handle this well, they will torment themselves before picking a side, imagining anything that can go wrong - thus giving plently of game ideas to feed them later !
Of course, once in a while a REALLY bad opponent is good, it allows them to unwind : chaotics come to mind. We also have a Dr.Doom-type NPC which they love to hate. He's very unsavory.