Re: Interesting Rambling-- Social Darwinism and the Hsunchen

From: Jeff <richaje_at_RGtm1pU26HXf927YTtt1FE4e2iwSIVa0BQ8qhPfSn1jOeMzo65oOr_H56Iv4gbYj730O>
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2010 06:52:06 -0000

> Richard Hayes wrote:
> >> I don't imagine Linnaean classification is their strongest suit,
>
> Greg Stafford replied:
> > It is utterly unknown
>
> Then what's the deal with all the Latin(ish) scientific names in the (RQ and HQ)
> creature listings, like "Styganthropus uzko" (trolls) and "Capricephalus chaos"
> (broo)? I thought they were specific examples of a Gloranthan classification
> system. Anaxial's Roster says, "One of the best known [classification systems]
> is that of Ocron Everseer, which was spread widely by the God Learners but is
> now used only by the westerners. It is similar to the terrestrial scientific
> system familiar to most readers." Is this not true?

The God Learners, in their passion for knowledge and classification, created a system of taxonomy. We translate the terms into Latin scientific names for our convenience, but of course the Jrusteli did not use Latin and likely their taxonomic system had a wildly different system of classes and ranks than that of Linnaeus. Ocran, like Linnaeus, created his taxonomy for ease of identification (and definitely not around a principle of evolutionary development).

Jeff