Re: What does death by "natural causes" look like in Glorantha?

From: donald_at_ijcf8HYfhR41ghqFafYJKFO0JiVEZqNrb7afT9yjMD_EiFKzxefzQzb2GxCRpg2Ail7Fr
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2010 20:05:23 -0000

> Remember, Chalana Arroy (at least) takes the attitude that being alive is always better than
> being dead, so her followers would have no qualms about working magic on an old, worn out
> guy, even if they can't make him young again.

I think "worn out" is precisely the issue. His physical body keeps getting patched up by his healer. Maybe she keeps his mind going as well. In the mean time everyone he knows is dying off, things change around him. Eventually it just becomes too much and he's ready to die. I don't think healers, even Chalana Arroy ones, would keep someone alive against their will.

Which leads to two story ideas:

The person who wants to die but his family or associates won't let him.

The person who is desparate not to die and is forever making sure death cannot get to them. They're going to be neurotic - the PCs have to be checked over by the healer to make sure they aren't bringing some disease to infect them.

Finally from Parzela
As a patient ages it gets harder to heal them. Just as fresh herbs work better then dried ones. Their life force is tired so you need to use more magic, more medicine to get the same result. Nor are healers perfect, the little tear left to heal itself doesn't, the malign spirit gets past our guard. Even Chalana Arroy failed at times, her priestesses are not better than the goddess.

--
Donald Oddy