Re: What does death by "natural causes" look like in Glorantha?

From: differentcomputers <mdawson_at_nBmzzpPwLarRM4m_P1wNHczcU75htDKGZBT6z1JBcJ03qlRO7q1eF80Fwm2MOKllY2pB>
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2010 16:18:59 -0000

Or become a figure of reverence, a source of wisdom, a person to be valued more.

>he may stay alive but lose so much bodily strength as to become immobile,

how and why? Not because of a broken hip!

> more like a spirit, a totem kept/trapped in a room by his guards and carers, or he may lose so much of his mental capacity as to be like a zombie,shuffling around devoid of conciousness,

How and why?

>or perhaps his paranoid clinging to life

I find this a curious characterization. Is a rich guy in NYC who insists on the best doctors "a paranoid clinging to life"?

>makes him to resort to desperate obsessive compulsive behaviour that he dare not stop in case that they are the things keeping him alive - drinking blood, avoiding sunlight perhaps, avoiding certain foods, cold water, being typical of your normal "wants to stay alive forever noble guy"
>
> He turns into a vampire.

An interesting parallel to the "cannibals become ogres and rapists become broo" bit. It seems a stereotype of old people rooted in real world experiences of aging.

I'm trying to understand how and why Gloranthan aging is simialr to RW aging--if it is at all!

MIke