Re: What does death by "natural causes" look like in Glorantha?

From: Jeff <richaje_at_pFI7z41PSMqCjCG0fIVTo6UNTLWBnTT-fSyXz5iL41w78yQE7ODgNphioDlzG_ZGkfPq>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 10:37:45 -0000

> > Seems to me it needs a mythic explanation, relating to the Compromise, or why Death comes to (almost) everyone.
> >
> > "We die of old age because..." should be a story that people know.

Wait wait wait. Mythology is not an "alternative science" with a discrete myth conveniently explaining everything.

So I asked Silkenarl the Priest why we die of old age and he told me that all men are mortals because Darhudan the Father of Mortals was murdered by Eurmal and the first to be killed by Death.

"But why do we get old?" I asked.

"Because all men are destined to succumb Death. If they do not die from violence, curse, accident, disease, or evil spirit, they still shall die," Silkenarl replied.

"But what is old age?" I cried.

Silkenarl paused. "I do not know for certain, as the immortal gods are not subject to it. I think it is a curse by Eurmal, part of his cruel murder of Darhudan, but I do not know for certain, as I do not know Eurmal's secrets (nor do I care to). A Humakti Sword once told me that old age is how Humakt takes cowards. Far better, claimed the Sword, to die on terms of your own chosing. But I do not know for certain, since Orlanth is not the source of Death, merely one of His wielders."

Jeff