Re: Process of Death in Glorantha

From: Greg Stafford <glorantha1_at_aFg2EhQlj4srcBpGj6yciQI8ljWmijP5IDeG-n7fG8F-JzAp7VgrpE53GVnFSd3_k>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 08:21:55 -0800

YGWV On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 8:36 AM, Sean Foster <ebaninth_at_z6TFuLkLBrm6kmywFGW4QqJ3CMqYQ58_kaH6WXJjr-lJPxLQzmrnMx-P1hciszpHP7ZAaiHLTZg5u4o.yahoo.invalid> wrote:

> OK, but who (pick a culture) is Death?

The entity, power or being that moves a certain part of individuals from the world of the living to the world of the nonliving.

How do Gods of the Dead work in Glorantha?

9 to 5, just like everyone. :D
OK, seriously" there is no one answer to this.

> Do Humakt/Yanifal collect the deceased soldier (Victim of War) as he just
> dies?

Again, this varies from religion to religion.

For Humakt: Yes, although they are usually assisted by lesser beings. The Orlanthi process through the Court of Silence is followed, but the shining swords on the trail of Death, borne by the assistants of Humakt, make it relatively insignificent

Yanafil Tarnils worshippers, like all Lunar beings, go to the moon first.

Does Humakt's Portfolio spread further out, to all Deaths?

No. Not usually, except in the overweening philosophical sense.

> Does Humakt
> dress up in Black Rags and carry around a Sickle? or is this an Earth God.

I am sure someone follows that fashion.
Yes, sickle = earth and harvest associations. I rather like that, in fact, for one of the Lodril associations of Death.

Is Malia a daughter of Humakt?

No, except in an adopted manner.
That is, when the Great Compromise was sorted out all the dead were collected into one place, the underworld. If Humakt is the Lord of the Underworld (for you) then he took under his general aegis all the dead of the Orlanthi, including those who are victims of Mallia, for instance. However, those are just another batch of the mindless, memoryless dead shades who sweep through the underworld like a black dead storm.

What is the process ones death follows? Do the dead 'spirits' just
> float/move off to the Hero Plane and join the lines of the dead ala Sartar:
> Kingdom of Heros - Orlanthi were just answered*, so now how about the West
> &
> Lunars...

West: judgment before Malkion or his appointees, who partially differ in different sects. Factors and reasons for judgments differ. Destinations differ, but most go to Heaven, and many consider life a one-shot, so judgment is final. Bad guys have differing fates, including being reborn as a pagan.

Lunar: go to the moon,

Is there any Ferryman equivalent in Orlanthi*/Lunar/Western Myth?

Yes, but again, this is not always consistent.

--
Greg Stafford
Game Designer