Re: What does death by "natural causes" look like in Glorantha?

From: Chris Lemens <chrislemens_at_EnVpJdi2J8g0p0NAJOCzJs2VYRgOKCaO7gh48RDqf4uU6vlvvqbQiVa-z_WxsvXW>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 13:43:39 -0800 (PST)

> "But why do we get old?" I asked.

Narmeed Whirlvishbane says:
When the Bull killed the Devil, parts the Devil flew everywhere. You can see some of them and you have fought them. But you can't see others. You know how a flash flood fills a gully in the wet season? The water washes through the gully and it looks just as deep as before the flood. But the flood wears away the edges of the gully, weakening them, until the finally fall into the flood. Like the raging waters, the devil's spirit parts wear down our bodies. That is why people age.

Roneer the Hue says:
Many say that chaos is the source of aging. I will tell you a secret. If you tell anyone that I told you, I will scalp your spirit ancestors seven generations back. Before the darkness, the giants grew throughout their lives. They were born big and kept growing forever. That giant there is so big that trees grow on his brow. We are all descended from the giants. But, in the darkness, chaos stole from our ancestors the secret of bigness. Now we can only grow to a certain size. After that, the growing turns inward. Our body contends with itself, giving us the aches and pains of age, the little wounds that make us stooped and blind and deaf and feeble. For some, like your father, even the scalp contends with the hair for room to grow; that is why no one wants your father's scalp. And this is why people age.

Yazurkial Blue Llama says:
I have heard what others say and know it is not true. I do not know the truth of the matter. But death is a change from one thing to another. Aging is a way of preparing for that change. Those who die young are unprepared and cannot make the change. The question is what the change is. In age, our skin becomes loose and hairless, like a snake before it sheds its skin. Our memories are long, but we are slow. We sleep much and our outwards sight diminishes. What does this suggest to you?

Chris Lemens