Re: How does veneration work?

From: Trotsky <TTrotsky_at_bk0Gf5uixhG0LqYs_CHUzmAcGd9QTFIX8IuCvQhrRsnWB9rvIxUt6E2QyvXjs5KZ1xI>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 21:57:21 +0000

Olli Kantola wrote:

> We also know that sorcery is something you know. I can grok how the
> sorcery that the sorcerers use works, but saints, veneration and
> blessings are beyond me. I get how you can decode scripture to learn
> wizardly magic, but how is worshiping a saint something you know? How
> are the blessings something you know as opposed to something you are
> or have?

The saints teach methods for achieving magical effects. When you are chosen by Humakt, you are infused with his godly power, and become linked to that god through your nature; you perform magic by acting like Humakt, not by learning about him. (Although learning about him will prove useful for advancing within the cult, performing heroquests, and so on). When you follow Saint Gerlant, you read (or have read to you) about the saint and his deeds, and how he manipulated magical energy to achieve his ends. It's what you know about the saint and how he did stuff that's crucial, and while that will inevitably involve you acting in a similar way that's not how you actually do the magic.

In theism, being and acting like the god lets you do magic; knowing about him has additional benefits including cult advancement. In veneration, knowing about how the saint did things lets you do magic; acting like him has additional benefits, including cult advancement.

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic

Not a Dead Communist: http://jrevell.blogspot.com/