Re: How does veneration work?

From: donald_at_94p0z66UMUVT5zyjywBHczpwPnLUXXqIxaR-3n23xEE2uta1iRnr5UVzt5xuzgqIQHZm9
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 00:25:46 -0000

> Don't you have to learn about Humakt in order to act like him, though?

I don't think so. If you kill someone because they needed killing then you're acting like a Humakt even if you've never heard of him before. Learning is about how Humakti fit into society rather than how to perform his magic. That is already within you even if you have to learn how to use it properly. You could learn it all by trial and error - biggest problem is that the errors can be fatal.

> Learning about the deeds of Humakt and his heroes and learning how the
> Saints perform their spells sound very similar to me.

Using a Saint's magic does not require you to emulate that Saint although you may find it helpful to do so.

I suspect the superficial similarities are why you get veneration of deities like St. Worlanth.

--
Donald Oddy