Re: How does veneration work?

From: Trotsky <TTrotsky_at_t4k1y_rmwzcWbZW0zhAnoqqQSOTq96HdwR0idelOnsK1jURgfVEQqRwEgeMSFLcJ6u6>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 21:06:00 +0000

Guy Hoyle wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 3:57 PM, Trotsky <TTrotsky_at_mUZsjWc40ld1bWMEM3p7K9a56hhvUNdLidkzH0IDPYO0Jh0e-olmqtyE4lINCUosTp8SVLSKt-zcAZ0wG1Nt6UXr.yahoo.invalid
> <mailto:TTrotsky%40blueyonder.co.uk>> wrote:
>

> > When you are
> > chosen by Humakt, you are infused with his godly power, and become
> > linked to that god through your nature; you perform magic by acting like
> > Humakt, not by learning about him. (Although learning about him will
> > prove useful for advancing within the cult, performing heroquests, and
> > so on).
> >

> Don't you have to learn about Humakt in order to act like him, though?

No, I don't think you do - although it certainly helps. Humakt chooses you, at least in part, because you already are rather like him. For a Humakti initiate, acting like the god isn't primarily an act of knowledge, IMO, but rather a statement of identity.

> Learning about the deeds of Humakt and his heroes and learning how the
> Saints perform their spells sound very similar to me.

Oh, I think they are. The difference is how crucial each is to the magic and worship practices of the religions in question.

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic

Not a Dead Communist: http://jrevell.blogspot.com/