Re: Veneration, Part 2

From: julianlord <julian.lord_at_bKUcetg7YCP82eNpAiNHhCvjOkMGkhD88soAjdc8i7HmCxJnOuhsJfkzROsL0mRi>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2010 14:54:24 -0000

Ian Borchardt :

> In my games, the essential difference between veneration and theistic
> worship is much akin to the difference between evocation and
> invocation.
>
> In theistic worship you are trying to invoke the deity, making it a
> part of you.
>
> In veneration you are attempting to evoke the deity and bring it into
> being around you.
>
> Of course, this is the distinction in the broadest of philosophical
> terms.

Weren't we ditching all of this jargon ?

Sorry, but I just can't help feeling that veneration is a magical method whereby worshippers learn about their saint(s) and religion, and then via the magic/practise of veneration and meditating/thinking about what they've learned, gain insights from that learning which provide magic and better spell casting. What's the point of anything more complicated than that ? Veneration is a simple magical method compared to all the detailed philosophical arcana of high sorcery.

We all of us engage in thinking on a daily basis, and I can't see that surrounding this sort of activity as practised by Gloranthan westerners with pompous vocabulary can be at all helpful to provide clarity and understanding.

... wishing I'd written this two days ago ... :p

Julian Lord