Re: Veneration, Part 2

From: David Cake <dave_at_kzA_jmBD_ISLxEPmKKOFpfpyYSb0eGEXhU6Z9gSdChylw6Ykg3m_IH3EpAWFEYpNWElsJpW>
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2010 12:32:49 +0800

At 11:40 AM +0930 25/12/10, Ian Borchardt wrote:
>[** Yes, it does matter when you consider everything in absolute
>terms. The magic of one culture will be more efficient than that of
>the other, and the "proper" belief will drive out the "bad" belief
>because their magic will be more efficient, giving them the advantage.
> The fact that they still exist seems to indicate that the
>inefficiency isn't quite as great as the examples that you give.
>Either that, or there are other reasons why the culture hasn't been
>absorbed/assimilated/eradicated (possibly because almost everyone
>misapplies their worship in some way because they cannot see the true
way).

        I'll agree with Julian that this is largely irrelevant. Cultures thrive or fail for reasons besides conflict with other cultures, and there are many more factors at play when cultures clash besides magical efficiency (relative size, technological advancement, resources available, suitability for geographical conditions and climate, relative preparation for conflict, a host of military factors besides magic, etc).

        And religious practices that serve their worshippers poorly often survive for centuries in our world - why shouldn't this be the case in Glorantha too?

	Cheers
		David