Re: Veneration, Part 2

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_iUAHR05h2caXQD4KFlVEzixlvzNSjONUHl5yLTHFVgNnk13Y8uv7YuXxRylxWGz2W-I>
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2010 22:00:43 +1300

On 12/24/2010 11:08 PM, hcarteau_at_YeL1uGAu-wvlqGu8GHh-DFlkXeM-XFpsE3vVjaXxbfh5xXdS7M4GHyKali3pP5kqtQ6ytPsP6d22hw.yahoo.invalid wrote:
> /// Why in Malkion's Name would this zzabur go around p... off his local
> authorities, when he knows any sign of dissent will bring the Inquisition on his
> back ? is he playing "holier than thou" by showing how much he despises saints'
> "worship"? Is he an agent provocateur from said inquistion ? Tell us more !
I was thinking in terms of a Zzaburi from Arolanit or Sog City who have no inquisition to worry about.

And the Inquisition as a Rokari institution may be on the side of the Zzaburi when it comes to venerating Saints.

But the best argument I can see that doesn't rely on jargon is this.

"People come to me and say the Saints are good people and venerating them cannot possibly be bad.

Veneration is the name by which the Eternal Truths of the Invisible God are identified and understood. By observing the natural rhythm of the seasons and the regularity of the heavens, we draw closer to God.

In the days of the Land of Logic, the question arose whether humans could be venerated. Zzabur declared it was neither necessary or desirable and forbade the veneration of himself, casting spells to enforce his decree. He counselled Malkion to do the same and Malkion agreed. But the people loved Malkion so much they venerated him despite his decree and the Great Error occurred - Malkion was wounded but did not know why and so the Cosmos became doomed.

Other True Beings who also believed that nothing bad had occurred permitted themselves to be venerated. Because they were less than Malkion, they were incited into rebellion and became the False Gods. Even today the poisonous fruits of saintly veneration can be seen. Hrestol was venerated and because he was weak, he succumbed to madness and blasphemy. The God Learners fell because they venerated their Saints. The Loskalmi venerate their Saints but are surprised by the appearance of the Kingdom of War. The less said about the Stygians the better..."

     -Theoblanc the White, the _Syllabus of Errors_

--Peter Metcalfe