Re: The Importance of Caste (or Why Wizards Don't Rule)

From: Jeff <richaje_at_Cciv4WJIGFEwzrPa50pk0AolpDXGEVPsUU9A1XboNb2Fy6h0IqiUqQJri6fQ7F85y2bH>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 06:47:12 -0000

> Secondly hard-coded laws of society that don't have any effect other
> than make a wizard respect caste? I think that if there is a reason for
> the wizards in obey caste then it should be a beneficial (or negative)
> magical force that they are aware of and find it easier to work with
> rather than against. Otherwise caste law smacks of the artificial class
> restrictions of D&D.

I agree with Peter. Many Zzaburi (and thus derivative Malkioni) spells assume caste restrictions. Frex, a spell is cast on a tool (sword, plow, shield, ship, etc) used by someone other than the caster. If the caster uses the tool, the spell simply does not work (remember that narrow description component of sorcery). A few God Learner scholars in the Second Age figured out how to remove that restriction from some old Zzaburi spells, but that learning is thought lost. In many cases, the Hrestoli had to start over from scratch, relearning basic principles of wizardry; the Abiding Book made things much much easier (since much of its magic does not *necessarily* imply caste).

Jeff