Re: The Importance of Caste (or Why Wizards Don't Rule)

From: Jeff <richaje_at_XqLxGK8UMrscc-qi2OqDxZKIlrBJ3Lxa55zmJNYEKKUUz-bMVblG7KKT8W6ZT9Xa7buH>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2011 06:50:11 -0000

> I seriously doubt the average peasant has much understanding about what
> caste law is and the suggestion that community support is contingent on
> correct social behavior seems to me a rather artificial restriction.

Actually I suspect the average peasant has a tremendous knowledge about the restrictions and rules of *his* caste. Don't carry a weapon, don't speak to foreigners. Marry only the daughters of other workers (preferably from your community). Never directly criticize another caste member except when before a talar (and try to avoid that!).

Of course, he knows next to nothing about the laws of the other castes....

Jeff