Re: The Importance of Caste (or Why Wizards Don't Rule)

From: Tim <tim_at_AhBq0YtD0mLL62IZxoDdoXlaMxR65SoNf2lIJRdCCGwB-8Int1ztzDtVer0NlvnLAq0JeDe0>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 14:35:54 -0000

> A few significant corrections. The men are *born* to their caste
> (those percentages are right) not assigned (except for wizards, but > they are a special case).

and later in the same message

> Amongst the ancient Brithini, the parent's status did not determine
> caste. Instead birth order determined it. First male child was a
> Dromal, second male child a Horal, third male child a Talar, and
> fourth male child a Zzabur. Fifth male child was a Dromal as well
> if I recall. All women belonged to the same caste (Menina irc).
>
> However, that rule was explicitly trumpted by the Abiding Book
> (which says something like the child inherits its virtue from the
> parents) and that was codified in the Sharp Abiding Book of the
> Rokari.

*My* Rokari, although generally inheriting the caste of their father are in some cases determined by tradition to be born into another caste. Where this happens it is normally that third or fourth sons of Talar families are considered Zzaburi from birth. This serves both to prevent the Talar caste from growing too fast and to keep up the numbers in the Zzaburi. (Plots regarding "lost" children or which is the elder twim, and thus whether subsequent children are in the right caste are entirely optional....)