Re: The Importance of Caste (or Why Wizards Don't Rule)

From: Jeff <richaje_at_0rps6zH_XFcokVMQjjv_BVbiYHnSvi4c1SKTKh_nc1Sq06be96VLQ6eNsxTSLcayrZdc>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 07:47:17 -0000

> The Horali, to me, seem like they should be a lot more mobile than the foot-slogging, hoplite model we seem to have been operating on. The West has a long, long mythic history of naval warfare and armed migrations, with the Horali surely riding ahead or boarding enemy ships to defend the other castes. I also think that in an urban culture based foursquare on the Law Rune, that a Horali is more likely to be law-enforcement and border patrol than professional warrior/combatant, even if they do retain the monopoly on violence. We're looking at Defenders or Protectors than Soldiers or Fighters; I mean, two drunken Workers in a pub can /fight/, but a Horal's job is to fight to PROTECT the other castes, to DEFEND the cities.

At the risk of being repetitive, are we talking about the ancient Brithini caste called "Horali" or the modern Rokari caste of the same name?

In either case, I doubt that Horali are used much for law enforcement purposes. Under the laws of Seshnela, the castes patrol their own. Disputes between castes are decided by the local talar, with ultimate decision making authority being the King.

> And your mention of the D&D castes of Magic-User, Commoner, and Fighting-Man, and the old non-Class position of 'Caller' is reminiscent of my conclusions regarding the Talari. They are associated with the children of Arvana the Feathered, called the Avavali, or Calling-Animals. Talar are all about communication.

Yes.

>They talk to non-Malkioni, they mediate disputes, they write and speak decrees, words, words, words. For this reason, I'd almost go with *Talker* for the Talar (it's also a helpful mnemonic for remembering the Old Brithini term for the Caste!) than anything like Noble or Ruler.

Agreed. However, Talars are not the only writers in Malkioni society. Obviously the Zzaburi are literate, but so is at least one guild of Dromals (the scriveners), who write what they are told or copy other writings.

Jeff