Re: History and Time in the West

From: Trotsky <TTrotsky_at_WIcACq1m-8LWMTxY3l3gS53gpIsg4EHTbAUvJRDeyLw0emki-kZNdaUWQH67WPfUaah>
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2011 09:11:53 +0100

Ian wrote:

> The Yelmic Dara Happans keep time from the crowning of Yelm as King of
> the Universe, and so have dates in the 100,000 range. The Lunars have
> their own peculiar system based on the rise of the Red Moon. The
> Orlanthi use the practical method of dating since the Dawn, giving us
> the familiar 162X dates.
>
> However, what year is it in the West?

In my books, I used a calendar dating from Hrestol's vision. That happens to be 1 ST, which makes things much more convenient for the real-world reader. Having said that, the Brithini are bound to count from the very dawn of Danmalastani history, giving them a historic record of comparable length to the Dara Happans, and many Malkioni scholars will use the Brithini system for counting dates pre-Dawn (insofar as that's anything more than wild guesswork on their part). It seems plausible that individual non-Hrestoli sects, such as the Rokari, Galvosti, and who knows who else, will use calendars based on the founding of their own religions, or at least of something that presaged it (such as the writing of the Abiding Book).
--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic

Not a Dead Communist: http://jrevell.blogspot.com/