Re:History and Time in the West

From: hcarteau_at_Ih6DPWwbj2zf6os9EfsCmXdUgaD55S1z2SULYw7pOA0MEiGAYLzOPxwMwtLcp2ippHq
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2011 09:12:52 +0200

OK, so we all agree that using the ST system, which assumes the Sun rose 1621 years ago, all of them years of 5 seasons of 8 weeks + 2 weeks Sacred Time makes sense for us customers, readers, gamers so we don't get lost in various publications.

We also all agree that this system is far from universal, and that even in the same culture (orlanthi, malkioni, etc) people probably have many different systems to measure time ("two years after king Gorm was defenestrated by his treacherous cousins").

And, being an agreeable lot, we also admit it's not easy measuring time : a "year" might mean many different things to different cultures, and certainly not only 294 days. I've read an article on the Bible about the patriachs' extreme long lives ; the authors supputated that what had been translated by "year" could actually have meant a moon (28 days), which brought them to very respectable ages of 80+, quite a feat at that time.

So the key issue is : how do use these notions to make our Glorantha even more interesting to play and live in ? Are there scenarios that might be built around the differences in time measurements ? I half-see a campaign built around the notion of Time. Time is the ennemy which must be negated to go back to the Ideal Era (see Mircea Eliade's notion of the eternal return).

Any ideas ?