Re: History and Time in the West

From: Jeff <richaje_at_mvtAgCQiGTIaZJKWztpCQa_irgHpT02_KbMEuF6Aj1GoRHDyFrY6CmABHPJY6X0DlHoM>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 06:04:26 -0000

> >The Orlanthi use the practical method of dating since the Dawn, giving us the familiar 162X dates.
>
> Is there a reason why this system has to be "Orlanthi" in particular?
> As far as I understand it the Dawn, the birth of linear Time, and the
> final separation of the Middle World from the God Planes wasn't a
> local event that only affected people in the Theyalan highlands. It
> was a *worldwide* paradigm shift of universal significance.

In Genertela, Standard Time is most associated with those who received news of the Dawn from the Theyalans (the present day peoples of Dragon Pass, Kethaela, Maniria, South and Western Peloria, southern Fronela, and Ralios). It is known by all the lands united by the High Council of the Lands of Genertela and was widely used in the Theyalan lands ruled by the Middle Sea Empire (such as Slontos).

However, it is not the only system of dating. The Lunars have their system of Wanes. The Jrusteli dated things to the appearance of the Sacred Abiding Book. The Carmanians and Loskalmi date things from the start of Ages (so in the traditional Carmanian dating 1621 ST is 401 of the Third Age). And so on.

Jeff