Re: Brithini abstinence

From: Jeff <richaje_at_0Jy7NXglCSQNNLoWuyQYIEDKx0HQX2TiUZlImkK812PB_9JfWINlDmPGWroFDZ_eJbg->
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2011 05:20:22 -0000

> /// Ah, interesting. You think they didn't eat or sleep in the Fourth Action in
> Glorious Danmamastan ? I'd disagree - Logic dictates that any organism needs
> fuel to function, and must not be overly sollicitated, so rest and food are
> acceptable, Logical desires. What's not is that Pleasure can be derived from
> them.

I agree. The Brithini are not robots! They are no longer truly what we recognize as human, carrying out the duties and obligations of their caste without fail, innovation, complaint, or rebellion. They overcome their Self in their timeless, unending duties of caste and become timeless themselves (unless they are killed by outsiders or breach their duties).

> So Brithos and Arolanity are lands of ascetes, who try and night to overcome
> their base desires. So as not to face unneeded temptations, their food is as
> bland as possible (some porridge mush), they drink only water, and they sleep on
> stiff boards.

Only if that is how they did it back in Danmalastan! I'm not sure they are ascetics - they just live simply and in accordance with their duties, nothing more and nothing less. A farmer eats a hearty morning and mid-morning meal that is healthy and simple.

The Brithini respond to events with logic and reason, not with irrational emotion. They do not dance, they do not speak without reason, they do not sing, they do not adorn themselves beyond what is required for their caste duties, they do not become intoxicated, they do engage in sensual or lewd activities. They are calm and do not succumb to hate or love, or other emotional excesses.

If you look at the five (or eight or ten) precepts of Buddhism you can get some idea of Brithini behavior. Or if you are less religiously inclined, maybe Star Terk (the Kolinahr rites of the Vulcans) might give a better idea. :D

Jeff

Jeff