Re: Some Fronelan population and culture details

From: Jeff <richaje_at_XE7NqQpKI8S_QUdCOZwjGTrvc1J7b4FRzCWKjpVJ8vD26K06KIQG1QP6mbL7QXx1ShMY>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 09:20:52 -0000

> I think the Orlanthi of Fronela were indigeneous Vadrudi having been
> there since the Storm Age.

They were indigenuous storm worshippers whose storm god disappeared in the Gods Age. Maybe the Theyalans identified that with Vadrus given how uncooperate the Fronelans were with the Council.

> but they were even more out of control than the ones in Tanisor and
> Seshnela).While the World Council fought the Battle of Eleven Beasts to
> get a foothold in eastern Fronela, I doubt they were able to penetrate
> through Hsunchen territories to get to the Orlanthi/Vadrudi in the west
> (ie Bija and Oranor).

I suspect missionaries got that far. For the Orlanthi holy men, flying from peak to peak along the Rockwoods was easier than traveling on foot (notice that most Orlanthi kingdoms are on either side of the Rockwoods?). There are several holy peaks near High Llama Pass including the Throne (of Orlanth), and the High Watchpost (of the War of Stone and Air). Southern Fronela looks to Top of the World as the home of Orlanth and there is likely more cultural contact - at least within the cult of Orlanth - between northern Ralios and southern Fronela than is widely suspected.

> As for the Lightbringers being worshipped in Oranor and
> Junora, I think they were introduced by the God Learners in an attempt
> to civilize them.

Everyone blames the God Learners for everything. That might be a popular belief in Akem or the Janube city states, but the Orlanthi revere Harmast who demonstrated the power of the Lightbringers to their holy men.

> I'm uncertain about how Harmast manage to stop a war between the
> Ralians, the Fronelans and the Malkioni by bringing back Talor.

Pretty remarkable, huh? But he did it.

> Talor's
> solution was a great curse against the Telmori who would not be stopping
> a war but rather winning it.

That is only one of Talor's deeds and hardly the most important. Far more important was his ability to unify the Fronelans, Akemites, and Ralions into an army (with Harmast's aid, of course) and lead it into Dorastor.

> I don't think Southbank has a Sun Dome Temple (the Genertela Book only
> says that he was a minor cult there before the Ban and the Carmanians
> would have had a temple to Idovanus rather than Yelmalio). Rather
> think the Solar worship comes from being the capital of the Sun God (Yom
> according to the Rathori Creation Myth) who led the army against the
> Malkioni just before the Sunstop.

I assure you that there is a Sun Dome Temple about 60 miles to the northeast of Southbank. Very clearly marked on the master map.

> Lastly a comment on the population figures. I do think that the
> statistic of a million people living in Rathorela is too high and
> represents an outsider's wild guess of how many bear folk live there.

Greg gives a figure of 900,000 in his essay on Hsunchen and a million in his population details supporting his unpublished Lunar material. Now that number is big (although Rathorela is at least twice the size of the Holy Country), but keep in mind that the Rathori are Mesolithic like the Natufian culture, living in villages and have learned quite a bit of lore from the aldryami of Erigia (including how to make and use longbows) and can probably support a higher population than one might think.

Jeff