Babeester Gor was Re: The Paps

From: Jeff <richaje_at_DBjNNhxA24RO2N0s5fO9tsHvBXYH-PCZHm5HHhwcfUmhx3cZXPfL7P5fwBrNzl5dtKqj>
Date: Wed, 04 May 2011 11:05:26 -0000

> More specific to Humakt elsewhere - but I think a good
> question to ask is do you disagree that there is a shift in emphasis,
> or do you simply think the shift has been one that makes the cult
> more playable?

Yes, I think the cult as described in SKoH is more playable and more interesting for play. The new writeup provides richer detail about how association with the Death rune shapes the cult and what that means culturally gives more options to folks who want to play something other than just an Orlanthi warrior who uses a sword, has a gift/geas, and fights duels (because that's all possible for an Orlanthi too)

> And for players who want to play a killing machine, they are
> still consequence free. Only now lack of emotional depth is
> compulsory.

Why is there a necessary lack of emotional depth? Because those dedicated to a Death Cult reject the powers and pleasures of Life? The approximately 250 members of the cult in Sartar who guard a handful of Earth Temples operate outside of clan and family. They might have plenty of personal depth and complexity, but they all belong to a cult outside normal Orlanthi society. Magically power, mythological significant weirdos.

Now you might prefer the RQ version (heck you might prefer the RQ 2 rules for all I know) but that is not the approach Greg and I have taken with these cult writeups. Sorry to disappoint you (and a few other people) but that simply is the prerogative of the writers.

> And there is a whole other issue about the male gaze on dark
> female powers etc that I am avoiding, because it is kind of a
> hot-button issue here. But suffice to say there is a sense in which I
> am deeply discomfited by the idea that female vengeance must equal
> loveless monster.

You may be deeply discomfited by Babeester Gor. She's supposed be discomforting. Want a less terrifying incarnation of female vengeance? Worship Natha. But it seems to me you are bringing in personal ideological qualms and saying that, because of those, the cult writeup is deeply flawed. To which I can only say, the writers and editors don't share your perspective.

Jeff