Re: The three runes we all have

From: Chris Lemens <chrislemens_at_i8eO_Nsia3s4hX1n8T1nGzIuoqGV16tXrBLAYvyxxMCLftq8XcLf0r2h3ippKmQn>
Date: Mon, 23 May 2011 10:10:52 -0700 (PDT)

Adept:
> Surely you have the runes even before any theist initiation happens.
> Theism brings about their expression (what magic you can do with them),
> but it feels like they are already there, and would still be there if you
> were raised as an animist or monotheist instead.

Here is what I think, from a Praxian perspective. YGWV.
    The runes that govern Glorantha generally also bind your hero. Everyone in Glorantha has runes, but they mean different things for different people. This is what they mean for Praxians.
    Before you initiated into the Praxian Tradition, your runes were dormant. They affected your personality, but little more. As keywords, you could use them to augment and create breakout abilities beneath them only as personality traits.
    The ordeal of your initiation into the Praxian Tradition awoke your runes. Now you can use them in an additional way. Your runes make you more--or less--attractive to spirits with whom you deal. That means that you can also use your runes to augment any magic ability, charm, or ritual under an animist tradition keyword (like the Praxian Tradition), but only if you use a rune that the spirit involved also has. This is particularly useful when you are negotiating with a spirit. It is even more useful once you join a spirit society and can use your charms as active abilities. Your narrator may also treat your runes as flaws when you try to deal with spirits that have incompatible runes.
Chris