Re: Query: Black Horse County language

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_fjUW42afKU1VzNi3Kn2SHWBXSpXi8VyPWjZEqOvvKU_zrCRNHaLJq4Mm2vHGuRSOiyY>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 17:07:52 +1200

On 5/26/2011 3:41 PM, Stewart wrote:
> Old Slontan is the liturgical language of the Atroxic Church and Black Horse County. Has this remained (to all intents and purposes) the spoken vernacular of the county?
>
> Or has the everyday spoken form evolved into a modified version of Old Slontan and/or been influenced by other languages?
Judging by:

    If it were not for Ethilrist, we would be outlaws or stickpickers.     We are cast-offs who have been given a second chance. We used to be     Orlanthi, Grazer, Sun Domer, and Tarshites, even Uz.

    S:KoH p257

I think the common speech of the Black Horse County is a dialect of Heortling with plenty of borrowings from other language and a lot of Old Slontan baggage.

--Peter Metcalfe