Re: Draft Map of Genertela at the Dawn

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_xkOV7Yi27LngWeH2WhDug1y4wt29fqYdEpzgWF3YQt2_NjO74IQf0-L5RvGzNlCrqr0>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 23:17:20 +1200

On 5/31/2011 10:38 PM, David Cake wrote:
> I'm not sure how much we know about that at the Dawn - do we know when
> the trolls were exiled, leaving the trollkin behind?

The trolls were expelled when the Mandarins fled north after Yanoor's suicide (Uz Lore p20).

>>    We know the natives are pretty much ignorant on
>> everything.

> Well, according to the Kralori (and the FDR, and other
> non-Ignorants) anyway.

I don't think their ignorance is slander - they truly are ignorant.

    They shun literacy, numeracy, abstract thought, money and hygiene.     They are ruled by their emotions to such an extent they know nothing     about the value of treating people nicely. Their technology is     crude, poorly made and utterly archaic - they refuse to use the     mill, the plow or even metal tools. Most ignorants wear untanned     furs or skins. etc

    Glorantha: Intro p 197.

Making the Ignorants a traditional folk misunderstood by the snotty Kralori cheapens the land as a special hell feared by Kralori screw-ups. They are not intended to be a normal human society like the Shan Shan people - their ignorance is a spiritual darkness that turns their society into a grotesque caricature of human backwardness just like the Vadeli are totally depraved and evil or the Broos are vile chaotics. As it is, the Kralori have plenty of other neighbours to be snotty to.

>> We know the place is an exile for unpopular Kralori
>> philosophies.

> Definitely. But was this the case at the Dawn?

It was the case before the Dawn. The Earth Eater, Star Permutator, Shadow Cancer and the Secret Waters were worshipped there having been expelled from Kralorela by Thalurzni in the Storm Age.

> Still very little compared to other Dawn cultures.

What more did you need to know?

--Peter Metcalfe