Re: The Ignorants seem by themselves

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_eranKBk7QN2UhFdUUfk8rynahlVUiaBW4lhWmfUf46OJk-y0EzN4rq11BuyYHhOMGvF>
Date: Sat, 04 Jun 2011 19:17:46 +1200

IMO (which is likely to be as constant as the Kralori coastline...)

ZEREL FAN: The starting point of my re-interpretation of Zerel Fan's magic comes from his blinding at the hands of Shavaya. I know the Kralori write that Shavaya re-opened Solar Storm's blinded third eye but if that were the case, why is the ghost of the eye roaming around Jankley Bore? And if the Solar Storm were currently peaceful, he wouldn't be known as the Solar Storm, would he? My thinking is that Zerel Fan was a great rival to the mystical teachings of Shavaya and in being blinded, Shavaya demoted him to a mere god. But the wound still remains and the worshippers of Zerel Fan use it to engage with a facet of their god

So the Solar Storm's worshippers use the ruins of the Third Eye to engage with the Solar Fury. The magical effects can range from confusion, seizures, and berserk episodes through to damaging solar flares. I see their worshippers as having the look-and-feel of holy vagabonds.

The Black Sun's worshippers see the same ruins as Sun Spots. They can cause confusion, dimming of the sunlight (so as not to frighten the trollkin), temporary spectres and dark sunspears. They can also assert authority over the worshippers of the Solar Storm and the Blood Sun. Although Troll Gods describes them as a folk religion, my impression is that their worshippers are the people who oversee the trollkin.

The Blood Sun's worshippers see the ruins as Bloodspots. They can cause temporary healing, enhanced strength and blood rains. The worshippers dominate agriculture in Bliss in Ignorance.

SEKEVER: A small side-note on Sekever. Although the Kralori describe him as coming from Ignorance, I'm dubious. There's anachronisms in the tales of his first appearance and a war against Vormain is also a deed of Vayobi's. Moreover the magics of the Huan To are much different from that of Ignorance. My current thinking is that Sekever is the Dark Side of the Kralori Empire and whenever the government does something bad, it's blamed on Sekever.

--Peter Metcalfe