Founders as Wyter

From: jorganos <joe_at_v_IFVRvhDTnoh-dDXocc58aGNMNP9-b0-nXuEjY5grHnIrmVA5YnoDiAeCue1f4m_d2iXVlY>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2011 11:49:53 -0000

I finally found the time to read Sartar Companion more closely, and once more it struck me that there must have been a change in the city wyter of Jonstown from whatever entity Sartar instituted when Hauberk Jon became mayor of Jonstown to adopting Hauberk Jon after his death.

Similarly, Sartar apparently took over as the wyter of the Principality during his apothoesis from whatever entity he brought back from his Westfaring quest upon founding the Principality of Sartar.

Other instances that come to mind where there must have been a change of wyters are Old Man Varmand of the Varmandi clan and the other Sartarite cities (Wilmskirk at least, not so sure about Swenstown since Leapfoot Swen went away after the foundation of that city).

I sort of wonder about the procedure. Certainly a founder of a community has closer ties to it than some deity found along the road west and convinced to act as the wyter, but what happens to the displaced deity? Does it get some sort of pension worship as one among many protective deities of the place/community? Does the transition affect the community's magic, internal peace, etc.? If so, is there an initial deterioration of the community's magic?