Re: Troll Pedantry

From: Chris Lemens <chrislemens_at_0OTJNpUgNkxpcaPIxBtXRubaM4VPB3p1UBJOmWtKed_KPKHoVYazttUOCizLbLwr>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 01:52:15 -0000

boztakang sez:

I like the idea of the kygerlith being a medicine bundle. I think the castles of lead are probably something very different -- more like a place that is both in the spirit world and in the mundane world.

> The main impetus for posting is that I personally
> belive that "Medicine Bundle" is a specifically praxian
> (or human-animist) representation of a spirit's "binding"
> or "favorite point of access to the middle world". Trolls
> are more likely to use the term "shrine" or "grammaw"
> when discussing (nearly) the same concept :-)

The term "medicine bundle" is just the term that the rules use with respect to really big spirits. I don't think it was intended as a comment on any particular culture.

>From a perspective of cultural chrome, I could see the Praxians, Pentans, Grazelanders, and maybe some Heortlings calling it a medicine bundle. I would think that everyone else would have some other name for it. For people who worship animal spirits, the word totem might work. For people who worship ancestors, it might be some sort of doll or poppet.

Similarly, cultures might use words other than "charm," like amulet, talisman, fetishes, and touch pieces.

Chris Lemens