Re: In Praise of Writing that Breaks Stereotypes

From: Greg Stafford <glorantha1_at_PDeeBpXKqx7ulQrXahuDkGwPFewhOfSS1Ei1HDATMX2OL3KRDNwlMDCxEBogV0UVR>
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2011 09:47:45 -0700

YGWV On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 6:17 AM, differentcomputers <mdawson_at_8W-P4USZzJukFpIK501jpIEAj4e41uOlK3_aIx2chWIPqanZhQ1kd3hECKPyy4wg7zPmyr8.yahoo.invalid> wrote:

> http://globalcomment.com/2011/in-praise-of-hermione-granger-series/
>
> How will your heroes not be stereotypes?

That is one great article.
Thank you for pointing it out.

Of course, it is ironic that even dear Hermione ends up as another of the thousand face of the hero. To quote:

"The defining hero of our age is a girl who saves the day with her egalitarianism, love of learning, hard work, and refusal to give way to peer pressure."

Change the gender, and it's pretty close to the definition of the Eternal Hero, updated with some modern language. To wit, in HQ tongue:

"The defining hero of our age is a person who saves the day through social participation, knowledge of his profession, hard work, and refusal to give way to inappropriate peer pressure."

*Every Hero is the same *
He is going to fulfill the archetype, from Gilgamesh to Alice in Wonderland. *Every Hero is different
*None will succeed by being *just *the archetype Every Hero succeeds because of who or what he is in particular, as an individual,

we so often assume that in ancient time they were just like us, aware of personal freedom, individuality, and possessing rights Most of the time, the people who stepped out were chopped down It required a Hero to be both inside and outside of society

--
Greg Stafford
Game Designer