Re: HeroQuest Questions and a diversion about Morokanth

From: donald_at_xGI6gGaHz_tA5XVdBKYDLjA-sBRYuiIUOx740pnyzeCiD-v71sw_n7qdncFTp19pSMIYx
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2011 17:57:08 +0100

> There is another famous example of a "This World" Heroquest in the travels of Biturian Varosh
> (Cults of Prax), in which Biturian's caravan is attacked by a gang of Zorak Zoran worshipping
> trolls, and he is saved by a passing Yelmalian Rune Lord (Rurik) and his retinue. Biturian said
> that Rurik was obviously on a Heroquest at the time.
>
> To me, this suggests the possibility that a heroquester might come across mundane events (unless
> the Zorak Zorani were looting the caravan for a higher spiritual purpose?) which coincidentally(?)
> serve as a station in their quest -- unless Rurik chose to  leave the path of his quest to battle the
> Zorak Zorani? Also if this little battle was a station in Rurik's quest, was it also part of the quest
> that Rurik could expect a decent reward for fighting off the Trolls?
> I am not surprised that Biturian did not consider this question, because what would he know about
> Yelmalian heroquests?
>
> Are there other incidents in the travels of Biturian Varosh which might correspond to other people's
> heroquests?
>	* The Yelmalian ritual Biturian is dragged into (as suggested earlier)

> * The baboon ritual Biturian witnesses in the Daka Fal chapter; and
> * The appearance of the fragment of Genert in the Issaries chapter -- if becoming a desert
> tracker is an (involunary) Garzeen Heroquest in this world? (It certainly involves a high commitment
> to emulating one of your god's myths) Alternatively are the Desert Trackers more of a sub-cult than
> a group of worshippers living out one particular Heroquest? Are the Desert Trackers both things at
> the same time -- membership of the sub-cult is conferred upon people who attempt the Heroquest
> * The Eirithan ritual at the Paps which is interrupted by Trolls and Morokanth
> Which side of the (blurred) line between ritual and heroquest do each of these episodes come?

My view is that there is a substantial overlap between many Heroquests and the mundane world. Most Gloranthans are practical people - they perform and support HQs to help them do things in the mundane world. Equally actions on the heroplane are often reflected in the mundane world so a station on a HQ could easily affect what happens in the mundane world. Gloranthans recognise the link but don't understand why it happens sometimes and not others. It's also confused by the absence of time on the heroplane because the mudane world incident may be affected by a HQ that was performed earlier or later.
> I for one would be fascinated to know what the real story was on this occasion. Who
> were the Morokanth invading the Paps, and what were they doing there? By way of
> an epilogue, what would Morokanth who follow the Way of Waha and Eiritha think of
> the 'loose cannons' who bring the Morokanth nation into even greater disrepute with
> the human tribes who follow the Way?

How about there's a Morokanth cult of rebellion against the rule of Eiritha. The Morokanth priestesses of Eiritha know the HQ to stomp on it so some bright spark thinks that if they attack the human Eirithan cult they can win and change the myth. Did the human Eirthian priestesses also know the HQ, or were they just lucky finding a counter?

Or perhaps they were Lunar sympathisers out to weaken the power of the Eirithan priesthood?