Re: Initiate in exile....what fills their 30% obligation time?

From: orlanthumathi <anti.spam_at_FhFDdj4JP4pxdv4s_VEKPfDBb7Utp6SuQrPhuWWk1VRBGmQ6NNDZddh8NrBho8Oj9z>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 07:12:12 -0000

These leaves a very narrow style of roleplaying, one mainly concerned with some kind of anthropological realism. Which is absurd if you think about it.

Once upon a time RQ was the game that had the philosophy that every culture had a word for adventurer. This was something that inspired players, made them feel that the world was free to explore.

IMO the world is much the poorer if we loose this essential quality.

Yes we used to seek out friendly priests, and as RQ got a little more anthropological we had to ensure the priests we chosse were not from unfriendly clans. But now we seem to be in the situation where even finding a friendly priest in a foreign land suddenly threatens to totally change your community obligations and social position.

Sure have this kind of thing as a minor element, say a note to say that in foreign lands you will need to do favours or deeds if you wish to use compatible shrines. Thats fun. But, to minimise the emphasis on compatibility and also to over burden the obligations is not fun for someone who wants to play for adventure and world exploration. And YGMV is just another way of saying the game and the world are not compatible in this context. The world should serve the game, or the world will be ignored.

If the world isn't fun no one will bother anyway, there may be some people that love anthropology as a pastime, indeed I am interested in this generally but mostly I just want to craft a good story arc for my character, do cool things and be part of cool events.