Re: Identifying lefthandedness at birth, and why kill for it?

From: jorganos <joe_at_Kp2wcWn3BNjvTX1P2z9qiwmTkUwrxNl4CnO09jwCZ5gGV2_bs5LegsPNjCWIRQPUNawbpl6m>
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2011 13:10:26 -0000

> Yes. The newborn is clearly cursed or a monster.

I wonder how she recognizes this... I mean, handedness is something which shows from how certain manual activities are learned.

> > This is the only recorded case of infanticide among Orlanthi, although I suspect that physical defects would be treated similarly.
> > This appears to be an Ernaldan trauma that existed even before the EWF. What is the deal?

> If a newborn is not human (signs include - left-handed, sharp teeth, horns, third eye, glowing red skin), many midwives prudently order it killed. That's not just an Orlanthi thing, but common to most Gloranthan human cultures I am aware of.

Elsewhere, these very same features are treated as divine sendings or features.

Horned boys - Morak, brother-in-law of Biturian Varosh, almost got to meet many fellow horned boys at the court of the Red Emperor.

Heort himself comes from a family that had members wearing antlers. Benarth, one of the sons of Harmast, might have founded a similar lineage if the Kitori relatives of his bride-to-be Enetha hadn't snatched him away.

Skin coloration - Heortlings come in the shades of orange, pale blue, olive, fair, depending on mythical ancestry. I can see why glowing red is unpopular since 1247 ST; before, it likely was a sign of favour of Orlanth (who used to be associated with the color red, too).

Hermaphrodites probably are regarded as blessed by Heler in Orlanthi society, and blessed by Rufelza in Lunar society. I don't think they would survive in a non-Lunar Dara Happan household.

So, once again, in what way is left-handedness a sign of inhumanity, and how does it show at birth?

(I am aware that dragonewts are left-handed. This didn't keep Heort and Ezkankekko from allying them for the Unity Battle.)

Are the Heortlings the only ones to hammer this specific trait, or is it shared by other cultures?

Is it reading the omens that makes the midwife say so?