Re: history of Umathela

From: jorganos <joe_at_ce8buWjjQQf7UbOI7LlJQCDup5O2PRbMrRpzlcZUg000CQZxAxsLj2kv4wZbUG0KJ_cfXAir>
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2011 10:43:11 -0000

> On 10/3/2011 10:42 PM, Keith wrote:
>> Interesting to see that Jrusteli scholars were still investigating obscure lion-men languages whilst their continent was being sunk and their civilisation being destroyed. Get a grip Dakon Ven Dalorin! Your Lion-linguistics are not going to save anyone.

Peter
> Since the Basmoli once lived in Pamaltela and migrated to Seshnela, the Jrusteli may have been looking for a mythical alternative to getting the hell out of their Island.

For this document to have been found, the Jrusteli scholar in question must have lived on either Pamaltela or Genertela, and if Genertela, not in a coastal city.

It appears that there are no God Learner cities left - not even ruins - on the surface of Modern Age Jrustela. At least none that have been found by landing parties looking for plund... archaeological evidence. If there are any surviving God Learners there, it would be timinits, hidden among their kinfolk who appear to have returned to their ancestral spirits and deities. With cerebresites, hiding would be possible.

The purges on Kumanku appear to have been selective - timinits and non-Jrusteli Kumankans were allowed to continue there, Jrusteli humans disappeared. The Malki coast suffered more from inland uprisings than from all-out-destruction by hostile sea forces (unlike Jrustela, whose last recorded contact by magical transmission was some panicked babbling about torpedoes).

This sort of makes me wonder why it was Jrustela that was targetted this way by the Closing. If Zzabur had an axe to grind, why strike especially against Jrustela, and using what minions? All the previous a

The Umathelan God Learners were purged by Enklosan aldryami (using trollkin mercenaries), instituting the Woodland Judgements. The Genertelan God Learners of Seshnela and Slontos got deluged (as a consequence of Luathan magic and possibly the Trickster Temple) long after the Closing had become a fact of life, and hunted down where there were non-Malkioni neighbors to bear a grudge. (The aldryami of Kantor's Forest and Jorestl's Forest apparently accepted the loss of their lowland forests with grace, bearing no ill will to their Seshnegi neighbors. The beast-folk of Kantor's Isles may have driven out most hinterland humans on the southern peninsula.)

The assault on Jrustela started more or less with the Closing. Who was behind it?

None of the three Elder Races of modern Jrustela claim the credit. The Malasp empire appears to be more recent, too, and while they command tidal waves quite similar (if not identical) to those used by the Waertagi e.g. against Svalwal, they haven't used any past deeds against God Learner Jrustela for pressurizing the Malki coast (or Fonrit).

The Waertagi were subject to the Closing, which makes their direct involvement unlikely. The Mostali apparently had to rediscover Mostal's Seventh Workroom to create a new presence on Curustus Island, despite occasional sightings of dwarves during the Imperial Age.

We can't blame the Zistorites, since their mechamagic lost its source when Orlanth slew Zistor. Their lesser machine complexes on (and below) Jrustela would have become useless. On the other hand, the mention of torpedoes points to either Zistorite or Mostali involvement.

If the Jrustelan dwarf colony is entirely new, we find a genocide not only of all the humans of Jrustela but also of all the dwarves of Curustus (former Thakarn, the seat of Mostali government in the Storm Age), and of the trolls reported there, but no (complete) extermination of the timinits (nor of other fauna, little though is known about it).