RE: Introducing Newbies to GLorantha

From: Stephen McGinness <stephenmcg_at_iqQm8IzWHSFtV1_-pJg7vzjKl-FDMUT0xluaVahYIlwG9JqTZfcxffOufWPDKGsPX>
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2011 07:31:46 +0100

Hmmm. I find that Heroquest is difficult for people to get their minds around, 'specially if they are coming from a D&D background. Game complexity is not the issue, familiarity is more key. I have had some success in using the original RQ II for beginning play and introducing HQ for heroquest and spirit plane interludes. It functions well as something exotic for newcomers to narrative systems as it highlights the exotic nature of the Spirit Plane. It also gets them used to describing their characters in narrative terms. If you possess both sets of rules, then this is pretty satisfying. By the time they are ready to be mixing with Kallyr you could probably be running such magical people as if they were on the Spirit Plane anyway. Stephen