Re: Introducing Newbies to GLorantha

From: Frédéric Cloutier <dreaddomain_at_SDQ_MAnMe-_BsSMfSIr5SU5SFv5itKTE3Qz-Emt3Yr3U4PogYeXkoca9xzY1eshp>
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2011 10:38:27 -0400

David sez :
>IMO the current edition (HQ2) is a far better introduction. If only because
>the rule book is much shorter. That's always a plus in my book.
>I don't recommend spending a lot of effort tracking down the old edition.

hcarteau replies :
/// I agree with that : if you're interested first in Glorantha, rather than the rules, go for HQ 2. So simple, so fast. Does take some time to get used to tho.

I did not follow the conversation from the beginning so what I am about to say may be totally off. If you are interested first in Glorantha, you's rather choose your system based on playstyle preference. If you like narrative games, HQ2* is in my opinion more streamlined than HQ1 but another good option would be Mythic Russia which uses HQ1 but with some interesting add-ons. If you prefer a simulationist approach, then go for MRQ2, BRP or OpenQuest. If you are not in a hurry, I'd even consider waiting for RQ6 due for "early 2012" (whatever that means). Because RQ6 is done by MRQ2 creators and they have complete creative freedom, I suspect it is going to be a substantial improvement on MRQ2.