Re: My Second-Age Umathelan Game - Adventure Ideas?

From: Richard Hayes <richard_hayes29_at_FKJBfpQZUqG0RX6XAElTwI43b7UDp08ZAoCGtD5MWoI4h7HnWsn2ASaHMXeF>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 13:42:33 +0100 (BST)

How useful is the treatment of Slorifings and Aldryami-Slorifing relations in the MRQ Aldryami book? Is there a canonical account of Slorifings which is different?
IIRC the MRQ book suggested that Slorifings are distantly related to the Aldryami. Slorifings are to ferns what Green Elves are to coniferous trees, Brown elves are to deciduous trees and Voralans are to mushrooms. Obviously the Slorifings are tied to the Plant rune, but what would Slor's other rune(s) be?  What mythic qualities could be/have been attributed to ferns? For example what does the fern symbolise in the RW when it is used as the emblem of New Zealand?
If you follow the reasoning of the MRQ book on Aldryami, the 'mainstream Aldryami have a belief system with a decidedly dualist aspect, with an idea of the Giver/Grower and the Taker. (It is also a bit "Yin and Yang", as it acknowledges that a balance is needed between the two). Most Aldryami support the Giver, and they see traditional foes such as Mostali and Trolls as agents of the Taker. Human nature is seen as a mixture of Giver and Taker. Aldryami still view most humans with great suspicion and sometimes hostility -- more than anything else, humans' mixed nature makes them dangerously unpredictable.
Slorifings are considered to have a mixed nature, like humans. This reinforces what Peter was saying about the differences betweferences between Red Elves and Aldryami being far greater than between the Brown, Green and Yellow Elves (who are all Aldryami, though this has not stopped them having some nasty fallings-out amongst themselves).
I don't remember where Voralans are on the Giver and Taker scale. I wondered whether the reason why Voralans can be quietly self-satisfied about getting enslaved by either Aldryami or Uz is because their own culture secretly teaches them that, alone of all races, they embody a balance between the Giver and the Taker? However I'm not sure if the idea is worth developing, because it isn't something the Voralans are ever likely to share with anyone else (or that the true Aldryami would ever admit to?) Maybe it is equally true that no-one outside Voralan culture has ever bothered about where Voralans fit in?
Richard Hayes