Re: Character generation: Sartar book

From: Jeff <richaje_at__q1OfUD97d-OjmYIqr5EXAwex-RRTtd-QuK2OMLhWZkWJOjFTrUBiH5xI-Nni1mbCp1f>
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2011 12:26:52 -0000

Michael -

The Sartar Book includes several pregenerated characters which are complete.

However, in practice I do not encourage players to use all their abilities or points at the beginning of the game. Rather we start with a character keyword (we use the "Hollywood Pitch" approach), the three runes, and the few additional abilities that the players immediately want. Then we start the game. Pretty quickly, players add abilities and points to their character ("You want to be an initiate of Orlanth? You need to add 4 points to your Air Rune then." "Do one of you know Brygga Scissortongue? OK, you need to use one of your ability points to create a relationship.") and their heroes get fleshed out organically.

I've found that for both players and GMs this approach can be far more satisfying (and far quicker) than the 100 word essay or the traditional method of deciding everything about your character before the game even begins.

Jeff