Re: A sense of scale

From: donald_at_qoKZcLNKOhxgrALoM29PE9AI-yYIGfkUon7MbtZge2CRlgXtWpY_ihGX96ME0iS1prNLC
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 03:12:44 -0000

Joerg and Jeff

> > Shipbuilding is up to classical Mediterranean and Dark Ages Atlantic quality. (If you want
> > Bronze Age shipbuilding, look at the Hjortspring boat, or Minoan and Sea Folk boats and
> > simple low-board penteconters. Instead we get longships, triremes and complex rigging.)
>
> You get boats "comparable" to longships and triremes. Comparable for rules purposes at least.

The trireme was a revolutionary warship when it was developed in classical Greece. Faster, more manoverable and more effective at ramming. The viking longships were capable of ocean crossing unlike earlier ships. The fact that ships crossed from Genertela to Pamaltela and back in the Second Age indicates that even then sailing technology was beyond Bronze Age.

--
Donald Oddy