Re: What's the Otherside like?

From: jorganos <joe_at_ake_wXVkpdzmXplVZedIBep3PT6BzYw2md8pHU7WxCfOTJ7rd2P35V6g-7cEs45AsOaOsQBo>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 21:40:43 -0000

michaelL" <michaelalewis25_at_...> wrote:

> So basically you'll need to know the history/myth of Orlanth to understand what the otherside is like?

The other side _is_ the history/myth of Orlanth, at least the parts you regularly visit in the rites and quests of your people if you're an Orlanthi.

> I assume there is ritual to get there. What happens to your body? Do you disappear or does your body stay here in the real world and your soul go to the otherworld?

As far as you're concerned, your body accompanies you. Outsiders watching the rites see the bodies sinking down unconscious.

> What happens if you are killed there?

You pass on to the Underworld...

> Is the god world and the spirit world the same?

They aren't.

> Are there spirits floating around everywhere?

Everything there is of spirits, but there are domains which have a Great Spirit imposing some order according to its nature. Where there is no such spirit, everything is vague.

> Where is this essence plane?

That's a very bad place you shouldn't even approach if you're an Orlanthi. Everything is wrong there, acting against you. Nothing is what you see.

> What about all of your dead ancestors? If there are there, that would be a lot of fricken people!

When you die, your soul joins the ancestors in the God World, but not your complete identity. You become part of a mostly anonymous mass of souls waiting for another turn at life in the Middle World.

> How do you determine which rune affinities that your character has? What makes him pick mastery over fire?

Basically, the element rune helps define you basic temperament. Stormy, stuck up Fire, ... lots of cliches well known to the Glorantha veterans and hard to convey in very few words.

Just my 2 cents.