An analogy for Esrolia?

From: mankcam <cma96352_at_dpA6ijS_m7lAVbIB70-myvK2O55YSMbMg0p16GOXJxwUHWjUPvnMfXKNjP5o4LkJ24u>
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2011 03:39:09 -0000

Hi everyone,

I'm a new poster here, but I have been reasonably engaged with the forums on BRPCentral, Mongoose, and The Design Mechanism sites. I'm into RuneQuest and Glorantha (I have HeroQuest, but have got back to RQ, but I still tend to GM in Glorantha.

I originally posted my query on the BRPCentral forums, and it was suggested that these yahoo messageboards may be the best place to get a good response.

My query is this: "What is a good culture to use as an analogy for the People of Esrolia?"

I don't have many resources which have artwork displaying Esrolit characters, so I'm not sure how they are intended to be depicted. In an earlier campaign I based them off the Mycenaens, with some Celtic/Gaulish touches here and there. I would like to bring Esrolia into my current 3rd Age Gloranthan campaign, but want to present the Esrolit in a fashion that is a more consistent interpretation of Esrolia of how the authors intended.

I do have a pdf of 'Stafford Library - Esrolia: Land Of A Thousand Goddesses' by Greg Stafford & Jeff Richard; it is a great resource but not alot of artwork involved. The pic of a priestess resembles a Mycenaen/Minoan a little, so that's why I based some of the culture off Mycenae. I'm not sure if I'm going down a wrong tangent though. I don't know if any of the fanzines have fleshed Esrolia out more, so perhaps someone can shed some light on the Esrolit for me.

Any ideas, anyone?