Re: Secrets of the Than

From: Keith <keith.nellist_at_vlXAzWKo2ybq6DVuXASxaA8d2s6n3eDkv7GpUhZJf5f3sj0DxPLuADDE93rI9F>
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2011 10:22:14 -0000

> I won't fault your analysis, it's just that I think the Geases don't fit
> the Thanatari very well. While the rejection of Heortling ways _works_
> as a guide to what a Thanatari might consider to be good or evil (and to
> a lesser extent the Orlanthi headhunters), geases seem rather alien tool
> in enforcing Thanatari mores.
>
> --Peter Metcalfe

I think I know what you mean. Than is the headless body of Tien, mindless, wandering around stealing heads to survive. It doesn't seem like the sort of cult that would have arbitrary legalistic taboos that are to be adhered to. Atyar would, he's a scheming, cunning, scholarly, organised, mad head god . "Stay out of sunlight or go blind" is more like an allergy than a religious conviction such as not eating fish on Firedays. Attack Storm Bulls on sight would be more like an automatic unthinking reaction rather than something that is thought about.

There is more to Thanic Theology than meets the eye. For example, I would expect those who grow horns would be the best sort of heads to make Major Heads out of.