Re: Secrets of the Than

From: Peter Larsen <p3larsen_at_zoLTdPaZILITERvhrpGQOUd8pJuKpx4OpP_RnQ1ULg4pUhmvNuw5t5SfVDKrcltQNxz>
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2011 16:55:18 -0500

On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 3:51 PM, Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at__CcaMZkpMXWAYJ0xWh4Xr9yARgZk_IBTJd13LEhRzCM-M596WILg6s3rxp_VaICavCsfM3olgbNsEu6mn39id_w.yahoo.invalid
> wrote:

> **
>

> On 11/25/2011 2:24 AM, Peter Larsen wrote:
>
> > Lanbril's thefts are entirely material though (as I recall; if I am
> wrong,
> > I am sure someone will correct me. Quickly.)
>
> Cannibalism and rape are also material!
>
> They are expressed materially, but they are not primarily about the
material "benefit." It would be easier for Ogres to just eat whatever meat was convenient -- you get stabbed less often that way -- so presumably they gain some sort of spiritual benefit from eating human flesh. As for rape -- rape discussions have tended to go badly on Glorathan lists, so maybe we should stick to cannibalism.

> > Uz eat everything; it's their nature. Anyway, and Uz eating an Uz would
> be
> > cannibalism.
>
> Karrg's sons are obliged to eat a relative every holy day. The
> parenthetical statement that this can be a trollkin means they can eat
> full trolls (and before the Trollkin curse - they could have only eaten
> full trolls).

Well, OK, I had forgotten that, but, still, it's clearly sanctioned by the god/spirit, so I think that's covered by "my god says it's OK, and my god isn't chaos, so this isn't chaos."

> > A human eating a human would be cannibalism.
>
> But is an Ogre eating a human cannibalism (ie they are the same species)
> or following its nature (they are a different species that views humans
> as animals)? Either way they cannot be chaotic solely by being eating
> humans. I don't find the fine lines you craft between Uz Cannibalism and
> Ogre Cannibalism to be at all persuasive.
>
> I am pretty sure Ogres are human in the sense that they have no problem
breeding normally with humans (I realize that, in a magical world like Glorantha, that probably means that rocks, trees, sheep, and the color blue are also people, but I mean without noticeable magic). Also, they live among humans and don't seem to have a separate culture of their own (and, indeed, I am pretty sure they were humans once upon a time). Since they seem to get their power from their crime/violation, I expect they have to be human enough for it to be a crime.

> > Morokanth don't eat humans; they eat herd people, who are, by definition,
> > animals.
>
> I doubt the Morokanth observe such distinctions between people and
> not-people when it comes to Outlanders.

I think they kind of have to -- the Morokanth's survival depends on it. If the other tribes decided the Morokanth were eating them, everyone would gang up to kill them. Also, wouldn't Waha turn his back on them if they violated his laws so? Probably some Nomads eat an Outsider, hiding behind claims that they thought they were herd people, but I suspect its a very risky thing to do.....

Peter Larsen