Re: Secrets of the Than

From: Simon Phipp <soltakss_at_9YV8eBhOnxWJ7DYr7YV3Yi7-yqg6chqmXw3h2CVwGQmG7rMBY5Rj9rYT2jh-t2dxDBB>
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2011 21:13:15 -0000

Keith:

> My feeling is that cannibalism doesn't turn one into an ogre.

That was one theory raised in the WOG Group, or the Gloranthan Digest, pertaining to how rape promoted broos and cannibalism promoted ogres. A nice theory, but I wouldn;t really use it in my Glorantha.

> Perhaps it might reveal your true nature: that you were an ogre
> that had hidden it from yourself! That is, in some ways perhaps,
> more frightening. Here's a story idea. Some desperate person
> resorts to cannibalism, survives, thinks that he has not turned
> into an ogre, realises that he enjoyed human flesh and did not
> turn into a monster. Continued eating human flesh even when he
> did not need to. Thinks that he has not turned into a monster.
> He has turned into a monster.

He could equally well turn into a Ghoul, for the same reasons.

But, not all cannibals become ogres. The Cannibal Cult, Black Sun and various Gors don't. Selling your soul to Cacodemon is a far better bet in my opinion.

See Ya

Simon