international ogres

From: David Cake <dave_at_qNtPc8Nt3NGQzERombgG6ckEs0Z1aJb8Iyo5_Lmf6rzar_ofNnVFR9naKkMISh7nRMRtLvs>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2011 03:34:51 +0800

On 27/11/2011, at 5:37 PM, Peter Metcalfe wrote:
> David Cake made the interesting observation about the Ogres of Gaumata's
> Vision. My thinking is that as the Succubi are associated with Seseine,
> any Ogre offspring would be associated with Vovisibor rather than Cacodemon.

        I think this is too precise an identification. I agree that ogres have chaotic souls is a good way to think of it, but I think it is too literal to determine the exact lineage of the chaotic being. And bringing Seseine and Vovisibor (both Pamaltelan deities) in to explain succubi and ogres even in Genertela seems a big stretch to me. Rather, succubi are a chaotic perversion of a natural phenomenon, and succubi occur naturally, and some succubi are then taught about a cult that gives their unnatural existence meaning and magic. All, however, are chaotic and make children with chaotic souls, some of whom are ogres. I think ogres, wherever they are from and whether born of incubi to human mothers, or born to ogre mothers, still will manifest the link with Cacodemon - I dont think Cacodemon calls to his direct children, but rather to their predator nature. I also think that succubi in Genertela will likely never have heard of Seseine, but (like the succubi in Gaumatas Vision) will simply accept their chaotic existence, and learn whatever magic they can from wherever they can find it, and ally with other chaotics if circumstances permit.

	I do think that the ogres tend to manifest differently in Pamaltela and Genertela. In Genertela, ogres are more common (chaotic beings in Pamaltela generally tend to be less numerous (but more chaotic and dangerous individually)), and most commonly ogres come about by being the children of other ogres, who most commonly are in small family groups that generally worship cacodemon (there are certainly ogres around that worship other deities, but most of those ones are probably less likely to breed and form successful family groups, being less expert at hiding their nature).
	In Pamaltela, I think most ogres are born as the children of succubi, or otherwise born through a specific perverse act (chaos is involved somewhere, but often chaos is attracted to, and takes advantage of, an initial act of immorality). Ogres are often the Bad Seed, born in a clan that doesn't really understand the nature of the strangely attractive and competent child, and doesn't at first connect the occasional murders (and mutilated animals etc) to them. Sometimes they grow up to become tyrant chiefs, notoriously savage warriors or outlaws, or evil magicians. Maybe sometimes they gather long enough to form an evil tribe. But they do not have the secretive sneaky Cacodemon cult to guide them, and eventually their evil becomes obvious and the other tribes unite to wipe them out. They may also have succubi mothers and lamia sisters encouraging them to fall into forms of debauchery their Genertelan cousins may avoid.

	OK, and there is also my big theory about Seseine, which sort of complicates the idea that all succubi are associated with Seseine, and the idea that Seseine is associated with Vovisabor.

	Cheers
		David