Re: What's Iluminated?

From: Christopher <kaiu.keiichi_at_hTGnFk-b1RgeDHOjft9IQasISwd4cI8z5asV7S6E5z_8V75dehcnmgbG3lPxlKs>
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2011 18:26:58 -0000

You may want to take a look at my Lunar Magic article for MRQ2 in Issue 10 of Rule One - http://ruleonemagazine.com/Iss10/LunarMagic.php?PHPSESSID=463e9d7ab80e308a29899536b79c3dde

This is an MRQ2 adaptation of the Sevening mechanics found in ILH2. I'm not sure how Illumination might exactly manifest in the 2nd Age - the operative skill, Sedenyic Philosophy, might have to be replaced with some other skill based on the nature of whatever practice that the PC becomes Illuminated in. The great advantage of Lunar Sevening over earlier Illumination practices is the large pantheon of lunar entities that are compatible with Sedenyic Philosophy, as opposed to Illuminates in earlier eras who must contend with more difficult Challenges From The All.

In MRQ2, the basic abilities would still apply, which would be -

Nysaloran Illumination (skill) can be substituted for Resilience or Persistence versus any form of magic that calls for a resistance roll. Nysaloran Illumination replaces all uses of Common Magic, Lore (Deity), Sorcery (Grimoire), Spirit Walking and Spirit Binding, or Manipulation.

Illuminants are immune to Spirits of Reprisal. Illuminants register as the caster's type on Detect Law or Detect Chaos spells and senses, and Sevened Lunars may join cults without restriction.

Unlike Sevening, traditional Illumination is more dangerous because there is no Heroquest structure to prepare the Illuminant-to-be for the actual Illumination (Sevening) challenge, unless one were to discover secret teachings of Arkat or Nysalor from the First Age. Also, the ability to join multiple cults would make one as a student of Arkat's mysteries and therefore capable of opposing the God Learner empire in the second age, due to the ability to easily enter and leave various myths by taking on mythic roles with ease (as opposed to doing things the God Learner way and simply ripping into the Godplane).

Nysalor Illuminants can not learn Draconic Illumination, as Draconic Mysticism transcends even the cosmic all by attaining unity with Infinity, and sees Chaos as merely another distraction. Draconic Illumination is a diametrically opposed way of viewing transcendence - Illuminants become the world, while Draconic Mystics reject the world as irrelevant in their quests to become OUROBOUROS, or infinite.