Re: Red Goddess and Compromise

From: Richard Hayes <richard_hayes29_at_aXkeqGF4k5zWNCgpNasV501tDOR_wcHrPf7TVSPTh_nOe39_tMG8m0MwSvo6>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2011 11:38:04 +0000 (GMT)

What is the Illumination of Yelm?

Richard Hayes

From: David Cake <dave_at_hntMpMAqMKlANNUFlluhbtgoeKcC1J_avNpA-OeP97joEnFYLkwjTsKraVezRDyzJdkgHodbZBa6r6SmTTF8HA.yahoo.invalid> To: WorldofGlorantha_at_yahoogroups.com Sent: Tuesday, 6 December 2011, 6:37
Subject: Re: Red Goddess and Compromise

On 05/12/2011, at 7:52 PM, jorganos wrote:

> When you look at the faces of Shepelkirt, it gets more complicated.
>
> First off, is there a documented absence of the Dead Moon/former Planet known as Verithurus (and/or Jernedeus) at the Ritual of the Net? All the dead deities of Yelm's Court in Hell participated, right?

    Good question!

    According to the orthodox Lunar view, though, She was Gerra at the time. I'm not sure whether Gerra entered the Underworld, or was one of the few miserable surface deities, or not? I thought she died, though, and so would be present in the Underworld at the time, and that her Illumination took place there. I was under the impression that the Illumination of Yelm occurring at this point was not a coincidence - which would make Gerra not just present at the Great Compromise, but an integral part of it.

> Aside: Did Jagrekriand/Shargash participate, or was he still among the "living" surface deities (who got accepted in the Compromise nevertheless)?

    According to GROY, Shargash is in the underworld at the time, and sending Yelm back to the surface is the first act Yelm performs afterwards. The part of Yelmic myth that corresponds to the Great Compromise is described in the section labelled Cosmic Justice starting on pg 31 of GROY, and Shargash is clearly present.     Cheers

        David

Yahoo! Groups Links