Re: Red Goddess and Compromise

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_DsrP2fMx262-DSag8TPtBkvZKm9IcG-_NbhUvk7m-rnUE-XoRxbQJnzW33Poiy2amT7>
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2011 20:00:39 +1300

On 12/7/2011 2:06 AM, David Cake wrote:
> "...Yelm was Illuinated. He experienced the impossible. Yelm experienced being one of the Many while he was nameless and faceless. He had no contact with the One. He at last knew the Other." - GROY
>
> What exactly this means, for a deity like Yelm to be Illuminated, is a matter of complicated and divisive debate to both Gloranthans and Glorantha fans. The Gloranthan debate is summarised in The Fortunate Succession. No one really knows for sure anything other than what is written above (and there are some who would doubt even that, based on the inherent biases of the source).

In particular, I've seen Greg write that Yelm has always been Illuminated despite Gloranthan statements to the contrary in the Fortunate Succession and the Glorious ReAscent while his most recent utterance ("a crisis of vocabulary") seems to take the position that Illumination is what occurs when Mortals try to understand Yelm.

In HQ2 terms, I would say that Yelmic Illumination requires a fire rune and a particular level of dedication to the God Yelm (for example, the Glorious ReAscent talks about Avivath untying the knot of Antirius) and allows them to use Yelmic Feats (ie Sunspear) as opposed to the lesser solar magic of Antirius and others. Whereas the Classic Illuminate could ignore all cult rules and the like, the Yelmic Illuminate only had to obey the laws of Yelm. Thus he could partake in Lodril's (decent) rites and receive his magic but not be required to get pissed as a newt once a week. The acceptance of chaos and the like of Classic Illumination came about when others tried to broaden the state of Illumination away from its Yelmic basis.

--Peter Metcalfe