Re: Is Spell Trading the hallmark of a vampire squid? (was: Vampirism)

From: Richard Hayes <richard_hayes29_at_6M12fNTJPvBhbBX8kyLSZnaULZ75b_6tj2v7nfroC3UZ8MzTJPoJUFIRTvd0>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 15:36:05 +0000 (GMT)

Why all the fuss about Issaries' Spell Trading spell/feat, or about why traded spells should be one-use only.
It is a feat of the Trade/Equal Exchange rune, and it allows the trader to trade the ability to do one of his/her god's Feats once with another person, so the trader can do one of that other person's god's feats once. I would imagine that there is more than one Issaries myth in which he traded some of his power as a one-off for something that another god had (also as a one-off). Possibly some have even been published.
Critically spell trading is a peaceful transaction that no-one enters into unless they want to, which is conducted with some ceremony in a place made sacred to the trader's god. In other words the act of trading is an act of worship to the god of trade which celebrates trades that Issaries made in the Godtime, and (almost) a very minor 'this world' Heroquest.  If you read e.g. Biturian Varosh on the difference between Issaries and Lhankor Mhy, you see that passing magic around in this way is entirely appropriate to Issaries (who arguably is a god of Communication rather than Trade, and the trade is a by-product of the communication), but not to most other gods. This is why only Issaries (and maybe Etyries) can do the feat, though others can trade their own magic by taking part in the ritual. I'm not even sure that other gods with the Trade rune (e.g. Lokarnos, Argan Argar) should be able to initiate this kind of trade
Furthermore  the trader doesn't trade with anyone they don't want to trade with, nor does anyone have to do business with the trader unless they want to. It is for the participants to ensure that their god's power does not wind up in the hands of the enemy (though what they see as a fair trade with a neutral is tolerable, as their own god has not lost from the deal). If they go too far, their own cult/god would put them straight anyway.
This rite is a world away from anything practised by the Thanatari or vampires or the Bagogi. One is consensual, the Chaotic transactions are more like a form of spiritual rape and/or kidnapping.
If you want to link spell trading into specific myths, maybe you could impose a restriction that the trader needs to find a specific trade between Issaries and the counterparty in the Godtime that his own ritual re-creates? (Not sure I like the idea myself though).  Also you might prevent trading in a cult's greatest feats -- for example a Humakti might trade Turn Undead but wouldn't trade Sever Spirit
Richard Hayes